Wednesday, January 27, 2010

God do I love the Rock.

I had the pleasure of seeing Them Crooked Vultures last night, courtesy of my friend Caroline and it rocked. Rocked I say.

The one thing I am still amazed by in Sydney is the time limit they put on Rock Shows. On the occasions that I have attended a show at the Horton Pavilion, the bad plays for approximately 45 minutes, leave the stage and depending on the time you may or may not get an encore. For example, I saw the Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs a few weeks back and they played for the 45 minutes and did come back for an encore but it was only 2 songs long. Not much of an encore in my opinion and when I thought that we would be able to woo them back with applause for a second encore, the venue put up the lights, signaling that the show was indeed over and we were quickly usher out by the security staff.Last evening, Them Crooked Vultures played for a much longer time, in fact they played for 2 hours, however when they left the stage, the lights immediately went up and there was no encore.

I have questioned my friends here in Sydney and this is just the way it works. The venue calls the shots and there is a time limit to how long the band can play for and apparently that is 11pm.

Personally, I don't think it's very Rock to give Rock and Roll a curfew!

No comments: